Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Queen's Birthday Ball (archive)

Greetings!
This story is from May 31st, 2008. We arrived in Seoul April 1st and we weren't expecting a formal 'event' so soon....thankfully Dyan was able to mail two gowns from Michigan in time for the Ball. (She considered chocolate also...but was afraid it might melt on the dresses....thanks Dyan!)

This appears to be a 'must attend' event in Seoul...and I can see why. It truly was spectacular. They always maintain an air of mystery...by keeping the theme a secret until the night of the event. This year it was Phantom: The Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber.They had beautiful displays denoting each of his musicals..from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat to Jesus Christ Superstar...and a live performance from "Phantom". Buckingham Palace sent their regards in a letter read by the British Ambassador to Seoul. The President of BASS (British Association of Seoul) is super nice and did a great job with this event . The following week I formally met her at a local nail salon...and she was so friendly and gracious. She was speaking to another gal about the Ball and of course I had to interject how much we enjoyed it....:-) I also told her that I loved my raffle prize 500,000Won gift Certificate for the Jimmy Choo flagship boutique here in Seoul! (I have not located the store ..yet...but will post a picture of the shoes once we find them! She has since introduced me to some really super people here in Seoul. She (along with the majority of Ex-pats) have gone home for the Summer...but will return in the Fall for lots of activities!

Back to the Ball....all of the tables were decorated with about 2 dozen long stemmed red roses, a Phantom Mask and of course candle light. All of the waitstaff wore the masks also...I felt kinda sorry for the one trying to wear his glasses with the mask ..they looked uncomfortable to wear but the effect was a really nice touch. The photo attached to this posting is from the table and the other picture is us standing in front of the table...:-) The room was quite dark...since primarily candle-light. I wish I had flipped the camera around and taken a photo of the nice fellow taking OUR picture...he came up and asked if we would like to have our picture...he was wearing a full Kilt...I would say there were at least 8 men dressed this way...and a very friendly group they were!

The band was the returning band from last year...and a real hit...from London "The Lightyears"...we really enjoyed their music. www.thelightyears.com Everyone was dancing...we even danced a few! Of course there is one in every bunch...one gal started twirling and spun herself completely across the dance floor (like in slow motion) and onto my foot. I didn't really notice it at the time...but the next day I had a green/black large circle (about the diameter of her spike) on the top of my foot! Minor injury...but well worth it!

Menu: Ballontine of Corn Fed Chicken, Seafood Tortellini, Lime Sorbet with Gin, Grilled Lamb Cutlets on mini ratatouille Veggies, olive-thyme flavoured lamb jus, white chocolate mousse with raspberry coulis...wide variety of cheeses (a real treat in Korea and difficult to locate at times...and quite expensive). The sponsor list was extensive...I'm just glad Jimmy Choo was a sponsor (and I'm really thankful Chris got up there to claim my prize...it was a madhouse!) The ladies table gifts were from Chanel (great set of items) and all of the men received a bottle of Johnnie Walker.

We sat at a table with other GM couples...the nice people to our left were from Indiana...and the other rascals at the table were from Michigan (I'm pretty sure). No one said "I'm a citizen of the world"...but that's another story.....:-) Thanks for reading!