Friday, July 11, 2008

Little Tidbits....


I have some catching up to do regarding pictures and stories...I hope to figure out the 'slide show' feature of the site...more photos coming soon. The picture I am posting today is from May 08 during our great trip to Songnisan National Park. Notice the colorful lanterns which are only present during the week long celebration of Buddha's Birthday. They are lighted in the evening and look spectacular. We have some cool night photos also. Beopjusa Temple is located in the middle of this beautiful park. The other picture posted with the 33 Metre high Buddha, is located in this same temple area. This group also has some female monks...we have a picture of me with a little female monk that I will post soon. There were several hiking trails for varied levels of hiking ability. One thing you need to know about Korea...you MUST have the proper and preferably highest tech hiking gear know to man...plus a walking stick. Chris always wants to buy a few of these sticks so we will 'fit-in' better...that makes me chuckle. :-) Before I came to SK I pictured in my mind just fitting in and 'blending' with the locals....can you hear me laughing loudly?! We completely respect their culture and want to learn as much as possible...but as our teacher "T" from Rochester, Michigan said..."Nicole...you will never be mistaken for a Korean"...he was SO correct. It was a little unnerving at first...all of the stares/glares but I have to realize that foreigners do stand out and that's just the way it is. Staring is not considered rude in their culture. So I guess I won't try my "Take a picture it lasts longer" comeback from high school! haha (Plus they might just take a picture...haha) I think many of them are just very curious. The older Koreans oftentimes bow or nod their head with respect, the teenagers either dismiss you (but still stare without looking so obvious) or would like to try out some of their English on you, and then you see the little kids looking at Chris like he is such a giant! Whatever the word for "WOW" is in Korean...I imagine that is what is going through their mind. They open their little mouths in amazement when they see you shopping or walking down the street. Many of their parents will tell the baby to wave or say hello in Korean...it's very cute. Plus the Korean children are SO well behaved. I am serious...rarely do you even hear a whimper from them. They look so content in their little baby carrier...usually on their parents back or if it is an older Nanny or Grandmother they somehow wrap a blanket around the baby and their waist...they sure look happy! Now that we have learned "a little" Korean I can hear school age kids say "American" in Korean...sounds like "Me Kuk" "Me Kuk" ..I only know that because when our driver Mr. Kim was with us (we were fortunate to have his services for 2 months) I would ask him what people were saying or whispering....now I want to keep learning so I can hopefully pick up a bit of what they are saying myself. We are getting much better communicating with taxi drivers and basic polite greetings...things like that.

One thing I will say. If you are struggling ordering food or on the subway most of the time a nice Korean will ask you if you need assistance. I was in a Pharmacy one day trying to get a prescription that the Dentist recommended for Chris...I had gone to 5 Pharmacies with no luck...the last fellow must have had some pity and pulled out 3 large books. We went through them together to see if any of the formulas were close to what was recommended. He even called his Daughter on his cell-phone for some translating regarding what the medication was for. Then amazingly a very handsome Korean fellow walked into the Pharmacy and spoke in perfect English...asked me what I needed...discussed it with the Pharmacist...he had some input regarding what he thought might be beneficial... and the best part... graduate of the University of Louisville...a Korean Cardinal right in our midst! :-)

No comments: