Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Good Samaritan in Itaewon!

We always hear about the 'bad' news...but today I experienced a genuine 'good news' story! :-) After a fun-filled day with the 'Monkeys' I hopped off the subway in Itaewon to grab a few things at the market for my 'spicy spaghetti' tonight! As I left the little bread store next to the market it began raining a bit harder. Fortunately, Chris had emailed this morning to remind me to pack an umbrella...so I was prepared. As I'm walking at a faster pace...I didn't notice that my imitation Burberry shopping bag is about to break. The sidewalk was pretty empty except for one very tall fellow in a hoodie...smoking a cigarette. As I began to pass him on the sidewalk, my bag completely broke with all of my items (including my swimming supplies) flying in all directions. I yelped 'O, No!" ...he turned around...starting helping me pickup the items..then we realized I had no 'backup' bag. Luckily, (and I'm completely serious about this) the owner of a Moroccan restaurant that we have met a few times must have spotted the calamity on the sidewalk...he yells from his 3rd floor window..."I have a bag for you!!" I was so happy...the Italian fellow that was assisting me ran at top speed (seriously) up the stairs...retrieved the bags and held them open while I deposited all of the market items, bathing suit, moisturizer...everything. I felt a bit silly when he picked up my cover-up...so I said "I was teaching swimming lessons"...and he smiled and said "That's a very good thing to do"...:-) I gave a little wave and a 'thumbs up' to my buddy in the window and continued on my way. So really I had two Good Samaritans today.....:-)

No comments: