Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Tuesday Update...


We had another exciting flower class on Monday! We decided that the materials were much more challenging..but loved the results! Our instructor said this was a more 'advanced' Variation Upright Style. The instructor brought her very friendly/helpful college student with her...she did another modification using the same materials but in a square container...it was awesome. I have included both of our arrangements in this posting. After the class I went with Dorie to Insadong so she could scout out some of our favorite pottery shops. My favorite fellow was in his shop and seemed glad to see us. It always gives me a chuckle because he seems to think I'm a 'bit' better with my Korean skills than I actually am...so it makes for a fun visit! Dorie was impressed also...so that made it even more fun! :-)


After browsing we hit the Bibimbap place that is recommended in the Lonely Planet book...Chris found this little gem one day and we always enjoy it. The price is very low but high quality food. My only error was saying in Korean that I really enjoyed the spicy Octopus (Nak Chi)...I must have really been enthusiastic because my entire insides were on fire...seriously. I spoke with my Korean teacher and she has instructed me in "small amount of spice please"...:-) I'll try that out next time! After our lunch we rushed back via subway so Dorie could pick her children up from school...and the subways were SO busy! I have this path memorized...so we made it there and back with no problems.


My next goal was to locate a person to pick up a Buddhist Temple chest that was being shipped from HK. This requires someone who speaks Korean much better than I do...and can negociate! The shipping was free from HK but we were responsible to get it from the port in Incheon to Seoul. It seems that our little table is simply 'too small of a job' for anyone to handle....but it is way too big for a car or small SUV. I thought the ship was coming into port today...so I was scrambling....then someone called (not sure who) to let me know that they would pick it up in 10 days...after clearing customs. Only one problem...I have no idea who called or with what company! :-) Things seem to 'work-out' over here with the Koreans...I have no idea how...but they do...you just need to make sure you have a native speaker with you for these types of activities/scheduling.


One funny...we were walking in Itaewon Sunday when the Turkish Kabob shop owner (Omar) spotted us and yelled "Hey, I see you"....well, I was thinking 'yes, you see us...we're right here'..then he said "I see you last week Wednesday...crossing the Hannam Bridge with your blonde friend!" I told him he should have honked his horn or waved and he said "No way, I was going at least 90 miles per hour!!!" :-) I emailed Kristin with this story....if you don't know what happened last Wednesday.....just scroll down to the blog entry "Han River- A Survivor's Tale" and you will find out! :-)

No comments: