Monday, October 6, 2008

Asian Flowers II


Last Wednesday was our second lesson for Asian flower arranging. It was initially scheduled for us to meet at another residence...but that gal canceled...so all the lucky people returned to our place! :-) This time I was prepared with tea, coffee and a smile. :-) This style is called "Upright/Modified". I believe the focal point should be to the front only...so a good design scheme for a corner display. The teacher said the sides of the arrangement are not as important as the previous "Upright" style. This appears to be a little more of a Fall arrangment...at least I think so. The triangle layout continues with this type of arrangement, then you fill the bottom of the planter with all types of smaller 'filler' type plants. I chose the Sunflower to be the focal point and top of the triangle. When the instructor went around to each planter she paused...grabbed a hand-full of the tall/beige/brown material and jammed it in. I liked it a little better without the addition...but she felt more height was needed...plus she is the expert...not me! One girl showed up 30 minutes late "That crazy driver of mine!" she said. She then proceeded to take about 6 cell phone calls and screech in her native/tribal tongue (issues with her driver, nanny, housekeeper and cook she told us)...it would have been more entertaining if we weren't trying to listen to our soft-spoken Korean teacher. After the 5th call...I gently guided the lady to the entrance and shut the door....so she could have some privacy with her call....:-) It all went well and everyone seems to get along just fine. I even asked the 'talker' is she would like some 'special green tea from the mountain monks'....she looked at me like I was a martian...bugged out her eyes and said "No way!"...haha...At the end she gave me a hug and said she had a great time.. and she would like to return next week..maybe my hostess skills are improving....
After the class (and cleanup!) I walked to the local market and who do you think was there? The Turkish crew! You would think it was a nice family reunion...me with about 4 Turkish fellows of varied ages and my sweet Korean buddy. "Sis!!" they yelled across the market. I must say I enjoyed having someone recognize me...and with such enthusiasm! There are usually lots of foreigners who go to this place...so it was even more hilarious with all the commotion. Plus, I have quickly learned how social interactions sometimes go here...it's like Junior High and occassionally High School (on a good day). If a 'cool' kid talks to you...then all of their pals seem to think you are 'ok'...I doubt the other people in the market thought about it too hard...but maybe down deep they thought...'well, she seems to have a few friends!' :-) I will save some of my 'Junior High' dealings with a few of the other foreigner ladies(not Korean) in another blog...I'm in a pretty good mood right now...I would hate to ruin this nice blog entry! haha.

No comments: